The show is finally upon us! It’s surreal to think that we’ve been working on Keep Your Feathers Dry since last April—and this week we’re in the theater. Tech week is always exciting and stressful, but I love every minute of it.
Mentally preparing for the show is another story. Every dancer has his/her performance rituals, however strange they are. Here are a few of mine:
1. Early bird: I can’t help but being copiously early. It’s a habit to show up an hour before call, but I honestly can’t help it. Plus it’s nice to do make up before the mirrors are taken up…
2. Charging the iPod: The day of the show, I have to listen to music to calm the nerves down. I’ve already got a Sufjan Stevens playlist prepared.
3. Nuts, nuts, nuts: I find that the best food for recharging is a handful of almonds. I’m eating some right now.
4. Scoping out the stage: Before every show, I take a couple of minutes to walk around the stage. It’s wonderful to familiarize yourself with the space every night and it’s also a great way to focus on the non-physical aspects of the piece.
5. Post-performance treat: This isn’t really part of the performance ritual, but I always eat something really unhealthy after the show closes. We’re talkin’ roll of cookie-dough bad. But, alas, I’m pretty sure everyone does that. I’m off the hook.
With all these in mind, I can’t wait for the show. I hope you got tickets, because it’s going to be awesome.